RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Pages: (806) < [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... >   
  Topic: Joe G.'s Tardgasm, How long can it last?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
Joe G

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 15 2019,07:41   

Quote (timothya @ Mar. 15 2019,03:25)
Quote (CeilingCat @ Mar. 14 2019,23:59)
Created the moon with the just-right diameter and the just-right distance relative to the earth so that, at the narrow epoch in solar-system history when human life would be possible, humans on earth would witness perfect solar eclipses, which would help them make important discoveries about the solar system and universe.

What utter BS.  I'm 71 years old and I had to drive 600 miles round trip to see one solar eclipse.  But in my lifetime I've seen a half dozen partial eclipses from my back yard.  If the moon was bigger then its supposedly "fine tuned" diameter or a little closer than its "fine tuned" distance, every one of them would have been a total eclipse.  We'd have seen the sun's corona, the background stars and every thing else we'd see in any other total eclipse.

What a bunch of ID BS!

What happens to the "fine-tuning" argument for the Moon's position when it **inevitably** moves further away from the Earth (because that is what happens in mutually orbiting, gravitationally bound pairs of objects).

The ID argument can only be made at this particular moment in the history of the solar system. I guess the argument is one form of fine-tuning, albeit a cretinous one.

“There is a final, even more bizarre twist. Because of Moon-induced tides, the Moon is gradually receding from Earth at 3.82 centimeters per year. In ten million years will seem noticeably smaller. At the same time, the Sun’s apparent girth has been swelling by six centimeters per year for ages, as is normal in stellar evolution. These two processes, working together, should end total solar eclipses in about 250 million years, a mere 5 percent of the age of the Earth. This relatively small window of opportunity also happens to coincide with the existence of intelligent life. Put another way, the most habitable place in the Solar System yields the best view of solar eclipses just when observers can best appreciate them.”

Without the moon there wouldn't be any humans nor life on earth

--------------
Chromosomes. are. all. connected. It is one long polymer. Called the DNA. - oleg t

simple English (hint: "equal" and "interchangeable" aren't synonyms)- JohnW

"Genetic mutations are mistakes"- evolutionary biology

"Genetic mutations aren't mistakes"- Intelligent Design and Timothy Horton

24174 replies since Feb. 24 2010,12:00 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Pages: (806) < [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... >   

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]