RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Pages: (100) < [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... >   
  Topic: FL "Debate Thread", READ FIRST POST BEFORE PARTICIPATING PLZ< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
OgreMkV

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 05 2009,14:54   

Quote (Henry J @ Nov. 05 2009,14:44)
As I understand it, 3-4 billion years ago the moon was much closer to Earth than it is now. But that was presumably before there was anybody on the planet to care that the corona was visible only momentarily at the start and again at the end of the eclipse.

Also, the moon is still moving away, so in several million years there won't be total eclipses at all (the moon will at that point only blot out a circular piece of the sun). Will that cause Earth to become uninhabitable?

Henry

True, I always forget about that.  I never can remember anything past about 65 million years ago.

Another point, the moon is not in a perfectly circular orbit around the Earth.  The moon wobbles a bit up and down each cycle.  So, if things were designed so perfectly, one would think that perfect ecplises should happen frequently, so as to allow the most 'teaching' to occur.

Floyd, do you really want to understand this stuff or do you just want to preach?

--------------
Ignored by those who can't provide evidence for their claims.

http://skepticink.com/smilodo....retreat

2975 replies since Sep. 12 2009,22:15 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Pages: (100) < [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... >   

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]