RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Topic: School Boards Just Can't Learn, Worrisome development in Brunswick Co NC< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
Kristine

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 18 2008,11:25   

Quote (Albatrossity2 @ Sep. 18 2008,08:29)

Quote (Paul Flocken @ Sep. 18 2008,07:51)
Brunswick is the southernmost coastal county in North Carolina. †I am neither a resident of nor have children in the Brunswick school system, so I don't have any standing, but I will make time to attend the Oct 21 meeting.

http://www.starnewsonline.com/article....mnist58

http://www.starnewsonline.com/article....e_says_

You have to love this sentence from the second article that Paul linked. †  
The Brunswick County school system offers a Bible as Literature course in high school, but itís not being taught this year because no students signed up for it, according to administrators.

I think it's unfortunate that a Bible as Lit course was not more popular - if it resembles the one that I took, it's an literary overview of the symbolic nature of much biblical language (40 days and nights, 7 apostles, 7 days of fasting, things occurring in 3s, etc.) and of the various narrative forms (songs, poetry, oral history, scholarly revision/editing, redacted and then readded material, nightmare visions, etc.) contained in it, which reinforces the absurdity of trying to take this work "literally." (People writing the Bible didn't even have any concept of literal versus metaphorical meaning.) That could be why the kids didn't sign up for it - too much thinking required.

--------------
Which came first: the shimmy, or the hip?

AtBC Poet Laureate

"I happen to think that this prerequisite criterion of empirical evidence is itself not empirical." - Clive

"Damn you. This means a trip to the library. Again." -- fnxtr

10 replies since Sep. 18 2008,07:51 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]