RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Pages: (40) < [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... >   
  Topic: Vox Day: Alpha Fail., Rich veins of untapped Tard< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
Badger3k

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 04 2011,22:50   

Quote (Alan Fox @ Sep. 04 2011,15:31)
Quote (OgreMkV @ Sep. 04 2011,10:17)

Quote (Alan Fox @ Sep. 04 2011,15:05)

Quote (the_ignored @ Sep. 03 2011,06:38)
For context, Vox had asked me questions in that post of his, and I tried answering them. You can see how badly formatted my replies came out there, but nevertheless that's what they are.

:p

Bear in mind I am English by birth and have never visited the USA, though I have met some very charming Americans in Europe, and also that the internets are rather subdued on my usual subject of interest - has "Intelligent Design" come up with a theory yet.

Presumably the "Vox Day" thread has figured quite prominently recently because of lack of other news and I followed the link. Having taken a shower and a large tincture, I feel restored enough to ask: do the views expressed by the author and (his wife?) space Bunny and other apparently enthusiastic commenters represent anything approaching a significant minority view in the US?

That's a really good question that deserves some serious thought.

I think that the majority of US citizens don't think about it and don't care.  If it's not a bog block V-8, involve a football (a real one, not a soccer ball), or a trip to the beauty salon most Americans don't give a crap.

The ones that do think about would probably tend to think that there is some sort of designer (God) and then the thought drifts away from their mind like beautiful cloud.

The people that are actually capable of giving this some thought are the ones that think ID is an utter load of hokum.  

Does that help?

Thanks Ogre, but I have only read the comments that Reynold/the ignored linked to upthread. My astonishment was more general  and more in relation to the remarks about whether a wife could be a victim of rape by her husband.

I think, and hope, that they are the minority position, but we do hear that idea that a man cannot rape his wife sometimes, mainly from the heavily bible-based/fundie religious.  I say I hope they are in the minority, because we have the Quiverfull movement and others that reinforce the man-dominant/woman-virtual-slave ideology.  I think it's a dying viewpoint.

--------------
"Just think if every species had a different genetic code We would have to eat other humans to survive.." : Joe G

1175 replies since July 31 2008,17:11 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Pages: (40) < [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... >   

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]