RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Pages: (54) < [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... >   
  Topic: Science Break, Selected Shorts< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
k.e..

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 17 2012,10:21   

Quote (OgreMkV @ Aug. 17 2012,18:07)
Four Independent Mutations in the Feline Fibroblast Growth Factor 5 Gene Determine the Long-Haired Phenotype in Domestic Cats

Here's a good that will blow creationists minds.

Mutation 1: 3 unrelated Ragdoll cats contained an insertion mutation.  The frameshift created an early stop codon rendering the FGF5 incorrect.  All three Ragdolls were long hair, no short-hair cats had this mutation

Mutation 2: Only Norwegian Forest cats had this mutation.  It's a substitution (C to a T @ 406).  Somehow (and the article isn't specific) this results in a premature stop codon.  3 of 4 Norwegian Forest cats were homozygous for this mutation.  The 4th cat was heterozygous for this mutation and number 4 below.  Again, the result is long hair.

Mutation 3: 1 ragdoll and 3 Maine Coon cats had this mutation.  This is "extensive nonsynonymous substitutions" rendering FGF5 nonfunctional.  1 Coon cat was homozygous for this mutation, while the other 3 long-hairs were heterozygous for this and for mutation 4.

Mutation 4: point mutation (A to C @ 475), resulting in the substitution of a threonine with proline .  The majority of long-hair cats were homozygous for this mutation.  Five short-hair breeds (British Shorthair, Devon Rex, Manx, and 2 Scottish folds) were heterozygous carriers.  No short-hair breeds were homozygous for this mutation.

OK IDists.  There are 4 mutations, two of which are point mutations (no change in the length of the gene) and another one is an insertion (increasing the length of the gene).  However, all of these changes result in a protein that doesn't work.  However (again), these mutations result in a significant advantage, that is long-hair, in certain circumstances.

Now define information and how an increase in the length of the gene and an increase in the length of the hair equals a loss of information.

EASY, HOMO EVOMAT CHANCE WORSHIPPER!

INFORMATION; TODAY'S NEWS .... TOMORROW'S FISH AND CHIP WRAPPER.

HAIR TODAY, GONE TOMORROW.

©davetard.

...oh...erm...

--------------
"I get a strong breeze from my monitor every time k.e. puts on his clown DaveTard suit" dogdidit
"Abbie Smith (ERV) who's got to be the most obnoxious arrogant snot I've ever seen except for when I look in a mirror" DAVE TARD
"ID is deader than Lenny Flanks granmaws dildo batteries" Erasmus

1591 replies since July 16 2008,08:10 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Pages: (54) < [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... >   

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]