RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Pages: (54) < [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... >   
  Topic: Science Break, Selected Shorts< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
Richard Simons

(Permalink) Posted: May 15 2009,13:18   

Quote (Erasmus @ FCD,May 15 2009,10:10)
i never thought it before but how old are peas?  are there new and old world peas?

can you date those divergences in the aphids molecularly?

is domestication of wild pea lineages likely to have played a role in the extinction of the ancestral pea?  

perhaps if there were never peas would call them some other sort of aphid.  if only there were poison ivy aphids.

i just picked a gallon or so of peas in my garden and i am tickled about it

we planted some storebought 'alaska' spring peas and 'little marvel' bush peas.  i  should have picked them the first time several weeks ago but we'll probably get another good pick out of these two patches.  

peas don't do very well here but its not aphids its heat.  in fact i have never seen an aphid on them but that doesn't mean anything.  they don't seem to have much insect damage at all.

thanks for posting that very cool

Off the top of my head: Peas are amongst the oldest crops from the Fertile Crescent (the higher ground around what was Mesopotamia) together with wheat, barley and lentils. I seem to recall the suggestion that they came from Anatolia. The ancestral form quite likely became extinct because it was swamped by the crop and the hybrids could not survive in the wild. It is thought that the same thing happened to onions.

I would be pleased if I had just picked a gallon of them, too. There's nothing quite like fresh-picked peas. Unfortunately, our garden will be just about ready to sow peas in about a week.

Edit to change silly mistake.

--------------
All sweeping statements are wrong.

1602 replies since July 16 2008,08:10 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Pages: (54) < [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... >   

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]