RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Pages: (74) < [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... >   
  Topic: Wildlife, What's in your back yard?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 27 2012,09:10   

Quote (Freddie @ Aug. 27 2012,06:04)
A few more I took in Castle Rock State Park, Santa Clara.  The big birds are Turkey Vultures, I believe.  The top of the park is at about 2,400 feet so I was able to get photo's of them climbing and soaring.  The first butterfly is from the same park, the second is from a different park about 20 miles to the South which is mostly grassland at about 2,000 feet up, it is parked on top of a grain of grass.

I tried to save them at a relatively small filesize - hope it doesn't slow the page loading time down too much!

Lovely shots Freddie!

The first butterfly is a Checkerspot and looks like the Bay Checkerspot ( Euphydryas editha bayensisto) me. It's a checkerspot found around San Francisco Bay area, which could easily come down to Santa Clara.

The second butterfly is definitely from the Hesperiidae family, which includes all the skippers. However, I can't ID this particular individual. Looks similar to a Fiery to me, but I'm not positive on that.

we IDists rule in design for the flagellum and cilium largely because they do look designed.  Bilbo

The only reason you reject Thor is because, like a cushion, you bear the imprint of the biggest arse that sat on you. Louis

2214 replies since Jan. 24 2008,14:26 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Pages: (74) < [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... >   

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]