» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Pages: (74) < [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... >   
  Topic: Wildlife, What's in your back yard?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
Freddie

(Permalink) Posted: May 05 2012,04:53   

Quote (Robin @ May 04 2012,13:40)
Quote (Lou FCD @ May 04 2012,08:55)

Quote (Robin @ May 03 2012,15:34)
Red headed Woodpecker (Melanerpes erythrocephalus)

Nice!

The Red-headed Woodpecker is one of two birds on my visual life-list that are not on my photographic life-list. (The other is the Ruby-throated Hummingbird.) I am very jealous.

ETA: And P.S. There is a decidedly marked improvement in your shots over the last few months, Robin. Keep it up!

Thanks much Lou! Yeah, they're getting better, but I'm still working on a number of elements to improve the shots or keep them more consistent.

I must confess that the red-headed shots frustrated the @%@$%&&* out of me! I shot about a dozen pics of the guy and this was one of two where I was actually focused <b>on the bird</i>. I don't know what my problem is, but many of my shots are just off the subject. It pretty much happens only when I'm shooting between 200 and 300mm I'm center focusing now only, so theoretically I'm locking in on just the subject, but for some reason I'll be focused an inch behind or in front of the object regardless of what it looks like in my viewfinder or using autofocus. Grrrr...

I have the same problem in a lot of my shots, typically at around the full length of my lens at 250mm.  I'm guessing it's multiple problems compounded by the fact that you often don't have long to focus before the bugger moves.

I've tried both manual and spot automatic focussing to see if I can improve the hit rate but no one method I use seems to be foolproof.  There needs to be a bracketing option for the focus feature :-)

Anyone have any tips for this?  I think some of the higher end cameras allow you to adjust the focus point on each lens but mine isn't one of those!

--------------
Joe: Most criticisims of ID stem from ignorance and jealousy.
Joe: As for the authors of the books in the Bible, well the OT was authored by Moses and the NT was authored by various people.
Byers: The eskimo would not need hairy hair growth as hair, I say, is for keeping people dry. Not warm.

2203 replies since Jan. 24 2008,14:26 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Pages: (74) < [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... >   

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]