RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Pages: (12) < [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... >   
  Topic: Now Spinning.., Musical Interlude< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
Wesley R. Elsberry

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 12 2007,23:00   

Up until 1998, I could detect a 20 kHz tone. I was disappointed the following year to discover that 14 kHz was my new top-end.

I haven't pulled out the tone generator recently to test. I think I'm afraid of what I would learn. But I find my music-listening needs are pretty much fulfilled by convenient MP3 player technology and good headphones or amplified speakers. This past January, I dug out my turntable, got a replacement belt, and digitized the LPs that I either wanted to hear shortly or figured that I was never going to see in CD format anyway. (I don't suppose the Temple City Kazoo Orchestra is simply biding their time on a release.) The turntable and my few remaining pieces of component stereo stuff (minus a cassette deck that I kept) went to a friend and the LPs went to Half-Price Books.

I do get a kick out of wandering around the high-end audiophile areas at CES, though. It's a place where one can find BS stacked up almost as high as in antievolution sources, but they certainly have antievolution beat on the pricing. $800 for a six-foot "power interconnect", anyone? That's a "power cord" to the rest of us, and in the unlikely event that I get a bunch of component audiophile gear at home sometime, I will happily use the $5 sort of "power interconnect" to plug it into the wall, which after all is wired with the cheapest Romex the contractor at the time could manage to locate, and delivers power engineered by people working hourly for my local municipality.

One thing that has been amusing for some time is that high-end equipment manufacturers like to use bleeding-edge light sources for "power-on" indicators, even though this has absolutely no relation to the sound quality of the system, and a simple, cheap red LED would continue to do as fine a job today as they did back in the 1970s. I think it was around 2000 that blue LEDs had finally become available in consumer applications, and suddenly every system's power-on indicator light simply had to be a blue LED.

I wonder if they will halt there, or if they will continue on to using UV-emitting LEDs, possibly with a fluorescent surround to show it off.

--------------
"You can't teach an old dogma new tricks." - Dorothy Parker

337 replies since Nov. 12 2007,10:35 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Pages: (12) < [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... >   

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]