RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Pages: (117) < [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... >   
  Topic: Telic Thoughts Thread< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
Tracy P. Hamilton

(Permalink) Posted: April 23 2011,07:54   

Quote (Robin @ April 22 2011,10:29)
I was just reading through some of the comments on the TT discussion. Nice explanation Olegt! I do have a question though, which was actually asked by one of the participants in the thread:

# Techne Says:
April 13th, 2011 at 11:12 am

Hello olegt,

What do you think is the relationship between time and change (change as in stuff changing position or from one thing to another etc.)?

A) Time exist as a result of change. Time is an intellectual abstraction and a mathematical expression to quantify change. Without change there is no time sort of like without mass there is no gravity.
Or…
B) Time exists as some distinct entity or dimension that is different or distinct from the process of change. Time exist as a dimension irrespective of whether there are things that are changing or not.

Comment by Techne — April 13, 2011 @ 11:12 am

I freely admit that I have difficulty visualizing the concept of relativity. I get the gist, but have difficulty when it gets down to the nitty-gritty as it were.

As such, while I know that time becomes a "real" dimension in relativity, I don't fully understand why and still wonder, as Techne does in question a, why time can't be an illusionary product of change. Can one of you folks elaborate on that?

Keep in mind that my science background is really ecology and some biology. While I took some physics and get it to some extent, it isn't my strong suit. So if you can "dummify" the explanation, that would be most appreciated.  :D

I can't help much, but perception of time is done by observing change of a phenomenon that is time dependent.  A human's own self is  not unchanging (brain is going all the time, changing thoughts etc), so we would perceive time even without an apparent change in the external environment or stimuli (sort of like sensory deprivation).  However, at the quantum level, even the vacuum has fluctuations (change).

--------------
"Following what I just wrote about fitness, you’re taking refuge in what we see in the world."  PaV

"The simple equation F = MA leads to the concept of four-dimensional space." GilDodgen

"We have no brain, I don't, for thinking." Robert Byers

3492 replies since Sep. 22 2007,13:50 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Pages: (117) < [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... >   

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]