RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Pages: (58) < [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... >   
  Topic: Evolution of the horse; a problem for Darwinism?, For Daniel Smith to present his argument< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
Daniel Smith

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 10 2008,19:17   

Quote (JAM @ Mar. 10 2008,10:46)

Quote (Daniel Smith @ Mar. 10 2008,10:58)
Can you please point me again to the living coral evidence you spoke about?

Thanks.

I had started with FOSSIL coral intraspecific morphological variation, because it should have been clear, even to you, that Schindewolf was avoiding testing his hypothesis. Since you completely ignored that evidence, there was no reason to cite evidence from living corals:

http://www.antievolution.org/cgi-bin....ry97708

That link just takes me back to page 1 of this thread.

You confidently claimed, "They're definitely inherited from generation to generation," Dan. Please tell me:

1) What evidence you used to reach this explicitly DEFINITE conclusion, and
2) If it was inherited, what evidence do you have on the amount of polymorphism within coral species or colonies.

Thanks!

For 1: I was going exclusively on the evidence presented for the "developing" suture lines in Schindewolf's book (see Fig. 3.46 on pg. 151 for an example).  I then made the assumption that, because these suture lines changed over time, they represented an inherited factor.  I did not seek out any other sources.  So, in retrospect, I should have never said "definitely".

For 2: I don't have any.  That's not to say that there isn't any in Schindewolf's book, but I'm not remembering any right now.

BTW, Schindewolf did study living corals, he mentions studying the living coral Scleractinia on page 151.  

One of my biggest problems JAM is that I can't seem to retain much of what I read (especially when it's over my head).  I'm learning this stuff in bits and pieces so I might not be able to give you specific answers to your questions - which is why I often speak in generalities.

I just ran across this in Schindewolf's book:
With corals, too, if preservational conditions have been favorable we are fortunate to have access to the entire developmental history of the skeletal elements of a singel individual, from its first appearance on.  We can take a series of cross sections from the calcareous corallite and, using them, follow in every detail the origin and transformation of the septa,
pg.149

I wasn't aware that it was possible to actually see the development of an individual in the fossil record!  Not that this proves anything, I just found it interesting.

--------------
"If we all worked on the assumption that what is accepted as true is really true, there would be little hope of advance."  Orville Wright

"The presence or absence of a creative super-intelligence is unequivocally a scientific question."  Richard Dawkins

1733 replies since Sep. 18 2007,15:27 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Pages: (58) < [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... >   

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]