RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Pages: (121) < [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... >   
  Topic: Expelled: No Intelligence Allowed., Sternberg, Gonzalez, Crocker - A film< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
Glen Davidson

(Permalink) Posted: April 17 2008,21:58   

Quote (Richardthughes @ April 17 2008,21:41)
Woowee!

"Red Carpet" Premier Gala Thingy:

The church was booked so we went with 'plan B'.

I know it's nothing new or original, but I just can't help but remark how blithely that sad little bunch of people will walk right under the board reading "No intelligence allowed," without even flinching.

So they weren't born so stupid.  They are now dumb enough via acculturation to suppose that a poignant reminder of what a collection of swill their movie and reputations are won't be made by someone taking their picture as they saunter beneath the sign disallowing intelligence in the premises.  If not there, then likely elsewhere--I have to hope that someone will get such a picture there.

I thought this was interesting, not for itself, but because the paper of the great unwashed petty bourgeoisie, and classes under them, considers Expelled to be a political rant:

There's plenty of rhetoric and posturing, but not much truly intelligent debate, in this controversial documentary about evolution. Co-writer and host Ben Stein is startlingly one-sided in his unnatural selection of experts.

The proponents of intelligent design are well-spoken and rational, and almost uniformly American. Those who believe in evolution often have foreign accents, are stuffed shirts or seem ready to foam at the mouth. This is propaganda, a political rant disguised as a serious commentary on stifled freedom of inquiry.

A documentarian is not required to be objective, but Stein's point of view is blatant advertising. While he cites the holes in Darwin's theory, he never identifies specific flaws. He does directly link the theory to Nazism and eugenics.

While he gets points for addressing the debate, the way in which Stein goes about it undermines his efforts to be even-handed and intellectually rigorous.(Rated PG for thematic material, some disturbing images and brief smoking. Running time: 1 hour, 30 minutes. Opens today nationwide.) -- Claudia Puig

http://www.usatoday.com/life....g_N.htm

Glen D

--------------
http://tinyurl.com/mxaa3p....p

Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of coincidence---ID philosophy

3612 replies since Aug. 12 2007,07:23 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Pages: (121) < [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... >   

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]