RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Pages: (8) < [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... >   
  Topic: The evolution of coloration in fungi, are brightly colored fungi aposematic?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
Patrick Caldon

(Permalink) Posted: July 29 2007,02:33   

Quote (VMartin @ July 28 2007,13:53)
Quote (Patrick Caldon @ July 28 2007,12:53)

Quote (VMartin @ July 28 2007,08:40)
I would say that black and white swans also inhabit the same types of habitat

Bollocks.

Patrick, why didn't you quote my previous sentence either? I quoted there that striking similarity of stripes on tasmanian wolf and african zebra druiker is to be explained via "similar types of habitat".  Is it also "bollocks" or what? But this time it would be darwinain "bollocks".

I have no idea why or indeed if the stripes on these various critters are similar.  Again, it's a multi-year study to get on top of this.  And as soon as a reasonable explanation is found, you'll pipe up with "but why do yellow-bellied gliders have a yellow belly?"; and it's another umpteen years of study to work out if there is some selective advantage or if its a founder effect somewhere or something of that nature.

So I would love to tell you if this is bollocks but I have no idea; on the other hand I know with a very good degree of certainty that the geography (and biogeography) of Europe and Australia are different.  

Do you have some difficulty with the statement: "There are some things we (as humans) do not know because we have never invested the resources to find out"?

We have established that black swans exist.  At least that's good going.

Now we have to get to "the climate in Australia is different to the climate in Europe."

215 replies since June 26 2007,15:36 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Pages: (8) < [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... >   

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]