RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Pages: (8) < [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... >   
  Topic: The evolution of coloration in fungi, are brightly colored fungi aposematic?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
VMartin

(Permalink) Posted: July 28 2007,08:40   

Quote (Patrick Caldon @ July 28 2007,05:48)

European grey wolves are grey (hence the "grey" in the name).  Thylacines (tasmanian tigers) were brown with stripes (hence the "tiger").

Those stripes on marsupial wolfs are another puzzle. The same stripes has African Zebra druiker living in Africa. See here:

http://www.naturalworlds.org/thylaci....f_1.htm

Now the explanation is that they inhabit "similar types of habitat". I would say that black and white swans also inhabit the same types of habitat (they are the one species) but in this case the habitat excercises different selective pressure to coloration. In the first case the same habitat led to almost same stripe patterns on thylacine/druiker, in the second case the same habitat led to white or black coloration of swans.

Trust me, having been to been to both Europe and Australia that the climates, flora and fauna, and geography are quite different in both regions.  For instance, it snows in a goodly portion of the white swan's European range, which was covered in glaciers 10,000 years ago.  It does not snow in much of Australia, and we don't have glaciers.

But swans need liquid water to live on. Maybe you  would like introduce arctic habitat where white coloration may have a cryptic function. Another explanation is that in Europe is/was warmer weather than in Australia and white color has advantage to be not overheated (we know a lot of white mushrooms and I hit on such explanation). So explanation can be different, due winter or hot sun and it is only a matter of belief if you accept such natural selection explanation or not. Obviously phantasy plays in conceiving such explanations greater role than the reality itself.

I'll repeat, I have no idea why they have the colors they do; that does not imply "god did it".   It's a several year research project to work out why white swans are white. If you want to fund the study I'm sure I can find someone to do it for you.

According Adolf Potmann coloration of species is self-representation "die Selbstdarstellung" of species. If true your research couldn't prove ToE as explanation of coloration in predominant cases of animal coloration.

--------------
I could not answer, but should maintain my ground.-
Charles Darwin

215 replies since June 26 2007,15:36 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Pages: (8) < [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... >   

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]