RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Pages: (8) < [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... >   
  Topic: The evolution of coloration in fungi, are brightly colored fungi aposematic?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
VMartin

(Permalink) Posted: July 28 2007,04:11   

Quote (Patrick Caldon @ July 28 2007,03:32)
I'm not sure you're listening VMartin.  Not all swans are white.  Repeating, not all swans are white.  There are black ones:

I have discussed swans already elsewhere. Folks there noticed that swans are also black in Australia. But I would say it plays more in my cards than it supports neodarwinistic veiw. Because if the same species is white or black it is hardly explainable by natural or sexual selection. It is really very curious - (speaking about Australian/Tasmanian/NZ versus Europian/American fauna)  that natural selection could lead to striking  similarity of placental and marsupial wolf (convergence). The same natural selection would have led in both areas to different and almost opposite coloration of swans.

More to the point, let's suppose after several years of hard labor we had some explanation of why swans are white, black, and various other colors, as we now do for lots of other organisms.  You would just pipe up with:  "Why are crimson rosellas red?".  Then another several years of labor.  Then "Why are galahs pink?".  "Why are sulphur-crested cockatoos white?" and so on.

I am almost sure you are unable to explain what's behind coloration of mushrooms or swans (eiter white ones or black ones). It is not necessary to make suppositions what else I will introduce if you exlplain it.

--------------
I could not answer, but should maintain my ground.-
Charles Darwin

215 replies since June 26 2007,15:36 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Pages: (8) < [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... >   

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]