RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Pages: (43) < [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... >   
  Topic: Libations and Comestibles< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
Arden Chatfield

(Permalink) Posted: June 26 2007,19:52   

Last weekend I had pretty good luck with a chicken tikka masala recipe on this product. The other ingredients aside from the paste were a quarter cup of yogurt, crushed tomatoes, and an onion. I followed the recipe VERY closely and I quite liked how it came out. My wife said it tasted just like how a restaurant would make it. Not particularly hot, though -- what Patak's calls 'medium', I'd call 'mild'.

Anyway, for reasons that I can't really explain, I am going to attempt the following recipe with six chicken thighs tonight:

Mutton Dish (Phaal)

Ingredients

1. Mutton pieces or Chicken 1/2 kg.
2. Bunch of Coriander/Cilantro. More than a handful. Well chopped.
3. 4-5 Red Chillies
4. 1 tbsp Pepper Powder.
5. Ginger-Garlic paste- 1 tbsp
6. 2 Onions
7. 1 Tomato
8. 3-4 Potatoes
9. Oil - 2 tbsp
10. Salt to taste

Method

Fry the onions for a while. Then add ginger-garlic paste and fry a little longer.
Make a paste out of Coriander, red chillies, pepper powder, tomato and fried onions (from step 1 ).
Take a wok and put in the paste and heat well. Keep stirring until paste thickens and the raw smell disappears.
Add some water, mutton or chicken pieces along with potatoes and cook for 20 minutes.
If it is mutton you will have to pressure cook for 3-4 whistles. Stir once in a while and add water if you require a little extra gravy.
Happy cooking.

I don't have any red chilis, so I'm either going to use two habaneros, or some Kohinoor brand red chili paste I got from my favorite Indian grocery.

I'm making a separate meal (hamburgers) for my wife and daughter so they don't have to suffer as I have chosen to suffer.

I've seen conflicting reports as to whether phaal is 'authentic'. Some say Indian restauranteurs in England invented it to punish boorish drunken white guys who show up at 11pm and ask for 'the hottest thing you've got'. Others say it's a genuine recipe for fish curry cooked in Bangladesh.

I'll report back if I live. If I die, you can blame Louis.

--------------
"Rich is just mad because he thought all titties had fur on them until last week when a shorn transvestite ruined his childhood dreams by jumping out of a spider man cake and man boobing him in the face lips." - Erasmus

1287 replies since June 07 2007,18:04 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Pages: (43) < [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... >   

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]