RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Pages: (43) < [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... >   
  Topic: Libations and Comestibles< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
Stephen Elliott

(Permalink) Posted: June 17 2007,18:07   

Quote (Arden Chatfield @ June 17 2007,17:18)
I am baffled. Is the reason you dislike chopping onions by hand because they cause a mild irritaion to your eyes? If so, why eat stupidly hot dishes?

It's not only that, it's also the chopping is a nuisance.

The difference is that the taste of hot foods is pleasant, while onions burning your eyes is not. The two sensations don't have much in common.

Another question. What is the difference between cayenne pepper and chile powder? I think a difference exists but on reading how the spices are made they sound the same.

Cayenne pepper contains only ground cayenne pepper, while what's called 'chili powder' in the US is a spice mix which also includes other things, like cumin, garlic and oregano. It's nowhere near as hot as straightup cayenne pepper. Trust me.

Bah Humbug. Onion is best eaten raw and only white onions need aply (with the exception of Fajitas). I delight in the texture of raw onion (just love the way they crunch). Cooked onions tend to be too soft.

Saying that. For certain meats I do like the flavour of cooking them with onions. I then prefer to throw the cooked onion away and eat the meat with raw onion garnish. Lovely.

As to Cayenne peper. I love it. Particularly on mild piza. Cayenne pepper tends to "enliven" my lips where "chile powder" doesn't.

1287 replies since June 07 2007,18:04 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Pages: (43) < [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... >   

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]