RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Pages: (43) < [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... >   
  Topic: Libations and Comestibles< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
blipey

(Permalink) Posted: June 10 2007,12:06   

Quote (Richardthughes @ June 09 2007,22:58)
Quote (stevestory @ June 09 2007,22:21)
Everybody makes 'chicken caesar salads' now, but the real caesar salad comes with anchovies. I'd never had them before, but I loves me some caesar salad. Curious, I bought the one can of anchovies i could find at Harris Teeter, and chopped a few up and make a real caesar salad.

Strange taste. ...different. kind of good, kind of bad. Strong as hell. Really stinky. But not necessarily bad stinky, more like Gorgonzola cheese stinky--it's very pungeant and you wouldn't want to wear that perfume to a first date, but the taste is not all that bad. Very strong and salty and I understand the popularity of the chicken substitution. The anchovies aren't a safe choice. But not bad. Give it a shot.

They're in the dressing too, I think.

A traditional caesar salad does not contain anchovies.  Caesar salad is made with worcestershire sauce, which does have anchovies in it.  Over the years, many places have started to use an anchovie paste in the dressing, and occasionally you will see sliced anchovie on the salad.  These I hold in the same contempt as caesars with tomato or caesars that are not tossed until the dressing very lightly coats all the romaine without any pooling .

--------------
But I get the trick question- there isn't any such thing as one molecule of water. -JoeG

And scientists rarely test theories. -Gary Gaulin

1287 replies since June 07 2007,18:04 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Pages: (43) < [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... >   

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]