RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Pages: (43) < [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... >   
  Topic: Libations and Comestibles< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
Robin

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 30 2010,14:18   

Quote (Louis @ Mar. 30 2010,13:30)

For kegs I'm going to go with vanillin. Anything in wood is going to have more vanillin and similar wood products in it, and thus be a much more "rounded" flavour.

If we ignore contributions to flavour from the "packaging" beer in presurised kegs (metal)/unpressurised casks (wood) will have advantages over bottled beer in (at least) three ways:

1) It is in the dark and therefore unlikely to be lightstruck. If memory serves the Hen bottles are clear glass and thus offer little protection from (UV) light. Also IIRC Hen is a "bitter" bitter, thus has lots of lovely isohumulones to turn into skunky thiols.

2) Aeration and oxygen. The method by which these things are poured aerates them, perhaps allowing for some oxidation of various compounds (not checked the GC profiles of various beers, so cannot comment accurately) and certainly for the formation of bubbles. Everyone knows bubbles make thing taste good! Taste a beer poured through a sparkler as opposed to a flat, open nozzle. It makes a difference.

3) Freshness. The turnaround of keg beer is usually pretty damn fast. Bottles can linger longer.

I have no idea about different recipes for bottles vs kegs, but the above are sufficient to produce big changes in taste.

HTH

Louis

Ahhhh! Much abliged! That all makes sense. Now I really want a draught!

--------------
we IDists rule in design for the flagellum and cilium largely because they do look designed.  Bilbo

The only reason you reject Thor is because, like a cushion, you bear the imprint of the biggest arse that sat on you. Louis

1287 replies since June 07 2007,18:04 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Pages: (43) < [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... >   

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]