RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Pages: (8) < [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... >   
  Topic: Life Doesn't Begin at Conception?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
PuckSR

(Permalink) Posted: April 03 2006,21:08   

And I tried to point out that your examples are not of "moral" acts, because a chimp can only do what chimps do, based on their chimpy instinct, a lion can only do what lions do, based on their liony instinct, etc. all throughout the animal kingdom.

The Dao of a Chimp and the Dao of a lion

As you pointed out, humans, on the other hand, can react in nearly an infinite variety of ways when they encounter the same events.

Not quite.....
If you are riding on a train...and the train is coming to an intersection....you see 5 men trapped on the track....
you can pull a switch, and redirect the train towards another track with no one on it....what do you do?

The answer....and almost every human will you give you the same one...is that you pull the lever....

Now, what if you have a particularly angry individual....he might tell you he doesnt give a ####...and that he would just let the people die....

Now, thats not a particularly human trait either.  Animals can be conditioned to be mean and spiteful of other animals......or humans

Moral codes and their practical applications know as laws and societal norms are, as you-all have pointed out quite accurately, a product of social interaction.

Now were talking about Confucius?

I counter-
Basic morality is instinct...
All other forms of morality are extensions of basic morality
i.e.
Eating food is instinct....
Eating gourment food is an extension of that instinct that can take on entirely new dimensions....
You may eat sushi because it is a delicacy, or it is wonderfully tasteful...or a number of other reasons...
but you are still eating to fill that basic instinct...
So despite whatever "higher" notions we are attributing to an action...it must always fulfill our basic instinct....
Coffee has little nutritional value....
no one drinks only coffee...no matter how much they love it

We may have attributed higher thought to our morality, but we still are obliged to fulfill that instinctive morality...

If you think this is just pointless rambling...consider something for a moment.  No one says...murdering unborn babies is ok....
Almost everyone who supports abortion considers the unborn as nonhuman or at least not true living humans....
No one says that it is ok to murder babies because murder is instinctively wrong...unless you can find some reason that they deserve to die...and its hard to come up with a reason that a baby deserves to die.....

You think its horrible...because you see the unborn as a true living human.
Your whole err on the side of caution argument follows your opinion and not the opposition's.
If i gave you a sword...and told you to stab into 1 of 3 sheets, and behind one of those sheets would be your friend....you would never do it...even if i promised you a cake....
A pro-abortion person doesnt believe that anyone is behind any of those sheets...I dont tell him that there is a person behind there....and you are whispering in his ear...
"dont do it...there might be a person behind one of the sheets"....
"damnit...thats silly...why would a person be behind the sheet...get out of my way...i want my cake..."

Im not invalidating your opinion...but Im arguing that it is not a moral belief....
you both agree murder is wrong...just like everyone...
he just doesnt believe he is killing anyone....
and you do...and you both have beliefs...not different moral character

239 replies since Mar. 30 2006,21:26 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Pages: (8) < [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... >   

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]