RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Topic: old article of mine, ontogenetic color change in fishes< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
sir_toejam

(Permalink) Posted: May 17 2006,13:54   

Quote (BWE @ May 17 2006,18:12)
By the way, I am still reading that paper you wrote and I am curious whether you tried to measure any of the wild responses as a control group. i.e. did you watch an event in the wild and then try to recreate it with your fishy in a baggie? And if so, did you set up a categorization system for natural responses that was separate from your experimental response? -(what did you do to control for the effect of the baggie and the observer)

-I appologize if you cover that toward the end, I haven't quite finished yet.

good questions.

In general "wild" observations are only covered in passing, as it was a very short paper.

the entire experimental design was actually based on watching interactions in the wild to begin with.  It was an attempt to control other variables aside from color variation in determining adult response behavior.

typically, juveniles dive into holes too small to follow when adults start chasing them, so you don't get much time to quantify what the actual behavior toward various color patterns is.  However, my personal observations tended to agree with the results of the experiments; adults didn't appear to be any less aggressive toward juveniles (in bags or not) than they were toward other adults that wandered into their territories.

yes, controls were conducted with empty bags; this is mentioned in the methods section.

"seperate from the experimental response"

could I ask you to clarify what you mean here?  thanks.

feel free to fire away; it's always an ego boost to discuss one's own work, even if it was an age ago and full of fun little blunders ;)

on a related note, it would be fun to discuss the evolutionary implications of the preferred "habituation hypothesis" of Thresher at the time I published this work.  I always had some theoretical issues with this.

How on earth would a color pattern that reduces adult aggression evolve to begin with?  what would favor it?

think about it:

in a population of individuals with no likely degree of relatedness, what would be the advantage to an adult to reduce it's level of aggression towards a juvenile?

Moreover, preliminary diet studies indicated that there is overlap in resource utilization between adults and juveniles (not for nest space of course), but at least for food.  There was also some indication that juveniles can be egg thieves from time to time.

It was this hypothesis that i was most deliberately attempting to refute with this design.  

As far as i know, this was the very first study to attempt to actually quantify and test adult aggression towards juveniles in this fashion, such as it was.

14 replies since Mar. 06 2006,18:25 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]