RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Pages: (1000) < [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... >   
  Topic: Official Uncommonly Dense Discussion Thread< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
phonon

(Permalink) Posted: April 10 2007,19:52   

kairosfocus cracks me up

Too many SCIENTISTS are ill-informed of general science issues, phil of science, much less the wider logic, epistemology, ethics and metaphysics to make sound counsel. A SCIENTIST IN HIS LAB COAT SPEAKING BEYOND HIS SPECIFIC EXPERTISE IS NO BETTER THAN (AND OFTEN WORSE THAN) A COMMON-SENSICAL PERSON WITH A REASONABLE DEGREE OF PRUDENCE.

metaphysics? as in "what is the nature of reality"? That's the whole friggin point of science.

And a scientist in his lab coat speaking beyond his specific expertise is almost like a lawyer or a math/philosopher yamming on about biology.

Oh, and I add:
tribune7
Which is basically GIVE ME MONEY! GIVE ME MONEY, I SAY, AND YOU WILL WALK!! AND SEE!! AND HEAR!! But you must prove your faith BY GIVING ME MONEY!!!!
Don't forget to pray (and take DCA). oh, and pass the collection plate...

BTW, this framing thing isnít anything new. Lenin was taking about it way back in 1917.
Uh, yeah. It's about as old as religion and politics.

--------------
With most men, unbelief in one thing springs from blind belief in another. - Georg Christoph Lichtenberg

To do just the opposite is also a form of imitation. - Georg Christoph Lichtenberg

29999 replies since Jan. 16 2006,11:43 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Pages: (1000) < [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... >   

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]