RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Pages: (1000) < [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... >   
  Topic: Official Uncommonly Dense Discussion Thread< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
phonon

(Permalink) Posted: April 10 2007,19:46   

http://www.uncommondescent.com/intelli....re-2238
scordova:

the real battle ground for IDís success in the USA is not in the atheist demographic of the population (which is about 3% of the population)! The battle ground is within the community of theists. Given that 91% of the population are theists and that 48% are creationists, it means 43% of the population are some sort of theistic evolutionist (TE). The TEís are the largest demographic group where ID stands to make serious gains over time.
I'll take three tangents here.

1. I thought that ID didn't have a problem with evolution.
2. Isn't ID supposed to be a form of theistic evolution?
3. Basically what Sal is saying is that 34% of college students being creationists (where did they do this survey?) is not enough. Did the survey question separate out creationism and ID? You'd think there would be a huge overlap. It's not like some baptist college kid is going to say yes to a question about his belief in creationism and no to a question about his belief in intelligent design, unless he thinks God is not intelligent. So what Sal is basically saying is that there are too many people out there that believe in God but they must not believe hard enough. If we could only get them to reject science, then we could get more souls into heaven.

And then cordova admits just that in the first testimonial:
I would argue though, that if Darwinís theory were true, I think I would have less reason to believe, personally speaking. If my situation is similar to many, then TEís have arguably done a lot to promote an unscientific idea which has eroded many peopleís faith.
And we know you can't get into heaven with eroded faith.

--------------
With most men, unbelief in one thing springs from blind belief in another. - Georg Christoph Lichtenberg

To do just the opposite is also a form of imitation. - Georg Christoph Lichtenberg

29999 replies since Jan. 16 2006,11:43 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Pages: (1000) < [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... >   

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]