RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Pages: (1000) < [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... >   
  Topic: Official Uncommonly Dense Discussion Thread< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
Zachriel

(Permalink) Posted: April 08 2007,08:10   

kairosfocus      
You also demonstrate that if NDT etc advocates will pull back on the incivility that too often mars their behaviour, they can participate productively in UD.

That is a false statement. Many people have been banned from Uncommon Descent for reasons far a cry from "incivility". E.g., I have been banned from Uncommon Descent three times:

1. Pointing out correctly (on-topic) that Scientific American is not a peer-reviewed scientific journal.  
2. For arguing reasonably (on-topic) that an arm can act as a sling, such as slinging mud or rocks, or as a windmill pitch in softball.
3. For rightly defending (off-topic but off-site) a science teacher from unfair accusations of lying. Those making the accusations (off-topic but on-site) were allowed to continue their mockery.

There are many such examples.

The teacher, Allen MacNeill, even offered a class at Cornell, Evolution and Design: Is There Purpose in Nature?, encouraging an open discussion of the issues. MacNeill was then invited to participate at Uncommon Descent.

scordova blogged    

I am told MacNeill has been very respectful to the much besieged IDEA club at Cornell, and I am grateful for his civility toward my embattled comrades there. I hope we at Uncommon Descent will reciprocate the civility he has extended to IDists at his school.

Apparently not. And defending him was a banning offense. While scordova and others stood by.

--------------
The struggle against ignorance is to the end of time. But it is said that if you die in tard, you will be reborn in Tardhalla.

29999 replies since Jan. 16 2006,11:43 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Pages: (1000) < [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... >   

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]