RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Pages: (1000) < [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... >   
  Topic: Official Uncommonly Dense Discussion Thread< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
keiths

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 26 2007,01:54   

Quote (Arden Chatfield @ Mar. 25 2007,19:22)
However, I have every so often seen fundies literally saying that if not for fear of cosmic punishment, they'd be completely amoral, and wouldn't worry about killing or robbing anyone. It's telling that they seem not to think that this implies anything bad about them... It speaks volumes that they'd apparently be much happier if all atheists were amoral monsters.

Fundamentalists tend to believe that humans were utterly corrupted by the Fall, and that salvation is only possible through divine grace.  They actually use the phrase "total depravity" to describe mankind's state after the Fall.  While this doesn't mean that the unsaved are absolutely as bad as possible, it does mean that everything they undertake is sin-riddled and fundamentally corrupt.  Even the moral good they attempt is misguided and falsely motivated.

It's telling that they seem not to think that this implies anything bad about them.

If everyone is rotten to the core, there's no particular shame in admitting that you would go on an immoral rampage without a Divine Enforcer to stop you.

--------------
And the set of natural numbers is also the set that starts at 0 and goes to the largest number.  -- Joe G

Please stop putting words into my mouth that don't belong there and thoughts into my mind that don't belong there. -- KF

29999 replies since Jan. 16 2006,11:43 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Pages: (1000) < [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... >   

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]