RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Pages: (1000) < [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... >   
  Topic: Official Uncommonly Dense Discussion Thread< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
Arden Chatfield

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 25 2007,20:22   

Arden - this is the mentality that doesn't consider empathy. Empathy is the anchor in my life, and that's what I should have said to them. I can hear about some terrible thing happening to someone else and actually feel physical pain, and that's not theology or ideology, or rationality. But they think that anything pleasurable must be evil and that goodness is one long, hard march up Mount Improbable, as well as some great glass globe that can be shattered by the revelation of one (human) flaw. "How can you be good without God?"

Precisely. It seems to be an attitude that simply omits the whole concept of empathy. I think most of the people peddling this idea are perfectly capable of empathy, it's just that they've developed a whole world view that never seems to mention it. So the idea of it makes no sense to them, or they're simply incapable of seeing how empathy could possibly exist in the absence of Captain Invisible's hidden retribution.

However, I have every so often seen fundies literally saying that if not for fear of cosmic punishment, they'd be completely amoral, and wouldn't worry about killing or robbing anyone. It's telling that they seem not to think that this implies anything bad about them.

I think the response to this would be that since you can't prove that empathy evolved, or explain exactly how chemical reactions in the brain produce it it is not material and therefore as an atheist you are a hypocrite.

That's exactly what many of them say. It speaks volumes that they'd apparently be much happier if all atheists were amoral monsters.

--------------
"Rich is just mad because he thought all titties had fur on them until last week when a shorn transvestite ruined his childhood dreams by jumping out of a spider man cake and man boobing him in the face lips." - Erasmus

29999 replies since Jan. 16 2006,11:43 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Pages: (1000) < [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... >   

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]