RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Pages: (654) < [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... >   
  Topic: The Bathroom Wall, A PT tradition< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
The whole truth

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 30 2012,00:33   

Quote (Henry J @ Sep. 28 2012,12:00)
Re meaning of theism and atheism:

My understanding of that is that theism means belief that there is one or more gods (or entities with traits that we might call god-like), and atheism is lack of such belief.

Well, that's one of its two meanings (the other being belief that such things don't exist, rather than merely lack of belief that they do).

Then there are some people who think one or the other of those meanings is gospel, and anyone using the other meaning is trying to rewrite the dictionary or the language, or something.

Henry

Good points.

Your understanding, in at least your first paragraph, is likely how a lot of people would define theism and atheism and generally speaking I would agree, but I don't think it's much of a stretch to say that religious zealots like gordo, arrington, o'leary, etc., see anyone who doesn't believe in the same god they do, and in pretty much the same way they do, as an atheist, or close to it, even if they won't admit it.

It would be fun to put joey g, arrington, gordo, o'leary, mung, uptightbiped, etc., and some other god pushers from a variety of religions around the world into a locked room for awhile and come back later and see who's still alive (if anyone). The so-called "Big Tent" would likely collapse pretty quickly and they would probably kill and eat each other, after a lot of yelling and screaming about whose god is 'the one and only true god' and/or whose worship practices are the 'correct' ones.

--------------
Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword. - Jesus in Matthew 10:34

But those mine enemies, which would not that I should reign over them, bring hither, and slay them before me. -Jesus in Luke 19:27

19607 replies since Jan. 17 2006,08:38 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Pages: (654) < [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... >   

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]