RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Pages: (5) < [1] 2 3 4 5 >   
  Topic: Feminism, Discussion on feminism and concepts< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
Wolfhound

(Permalink) Posted: Nov. 03 2011,20:34   

I'm afraid that I'm not qualified, beyond being the proud owner of the proper plumbing, to speak on this subject.  I am one of those women who actually enjoys well-intentioned chivalry (opening doors, pulling out chairs, offering an arm, etc.) from members of the opposite sex.  I have NEVER been made to feel that this behavior from men is because they consider me to be "weak" or "inferior", primarily because I'm taller than the average guy and physically and mentally strong for EITHER sex.  I think it's sweet, not insulting, and I appreciate the gestures.

I have also never experienced on-the-job discrimination.  I was paid the same or more (yes, we compared wages) as my male counterparts and have always been encouraged to pursue positions of greater pay and authority by the higher ups.  My former career path (the shipping business) was pretty well male dominated and my current (child welfare social work) is female dominant, just so you know.

I HAVE been on the receiving end in the private sector (car dealers and car mechanics, in particular, assuming I'm an idiot because I'm a woman) and this mostly just amuses me because I can call their bluff and know that are just macho assholes trying to take advantage of somebody they presume to be weak.

I know that there are problems.  I know that MANY women have not been as lucky as I have.  But I don't get my knickers in a twist (HA!) when somebody uses "bitch" or "cunt" or some guy hits on me.  It just rolls off my back like water off a duck.  Does my lack of outrage make me a gender traitor?  Apparently some would say so.  Shrug.

--------------
I've found my personality to be an effective form of birth control.

122 replies since Nov. 03 2011,11:15 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Pages: (5) < [1] 2 3 4 5 >   

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]