RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Pages: (500) < [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... >   
  Topic: Uncommonly Dense Thread 2, general discussion of Dembski's site< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
KCdgw

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 04 2009,11:50   

Quote (Zachriel @ Aug. 04 2009,11:41)
Quote (KCdgw @ Aug. 04 2009,11:12)

Quote (Zachriel @ Aug. 03 2009,08:25)

Quote (KCdgw @ Aug. 03 2009,08:10)
Done, but he has been asked before.

KC

Thanks. That's what we thought, but he repeated the claim, so we were wondering.

Just to make sure jerry didn't miss the question the first two times:

Dave Wisker:

Hi jerry,
Any luck on getting that citation for the Grants claiming it takes 23 million years for one species to appear?

Well, he finally answered, sorta.

jerry: By the way, it was 32 million years not 23 million years. I had a dyslexic moment as I remembered incorrectly but a friend corrected me. The Grants referred to the works of some researchers who were named Prager and Wilson. So maybe you should write the Grants and ask for the cite. It was in a presentation they made at Stanford.

His answer is "Look it up yourself."

I looked up Prager and Wilson's paper.  They are tallking about the development of complete hybrid inviability. P&W found that certain groups of organisms, birds and amphibians in particular, lose hybrid viability very slowly. 20-30 million years (which suprised me). However, other groups, such as mammals lose it much more quickly (by around a factor of ten):  2 - 3 million years

--------------
Those who know the truth are not equal to those who love it-- Confucius

14997 replies since July 17 2008,19:00 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Pages: (500) < [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... >   

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]