RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Pages: (500) < [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... >   
  Topic: Uncommonly Dense Thread 2, general discussion of Dembski's site< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
KCdgw

(Permalink) Posted: July 28 2009,13:30   

Quote (Zachriel @ July 28 2009,13:17)
jerry: And by the way the Franklins said it would take 23 million years to get a new bird species from the finches.

We posted a response on Uncommon Descent, but there must have been a, er, technical problem, as our response never showed. But Dave Wisker apparently reads Jovian thoughts.

Dave Wisker: I’m curious– where did the Grants (I assume you meant them, not the “Franklins”) say it would take 23 million years to get a new species? Where they referring to a particular situation and specific populations in the Galapagos?

Considering that the Grants have measured rates of evolution in the tens-of-thousands of darwins, and that the Galápagos Islands are only 5-10 million years old.

The only thing I could think of even remotely connected to the Grants on this is cycles of environmental change and introgression that could interfere with permanent reproductive isolation for a long time. But 23 milllion years sounds extreme, and I've never read anything by the Grants suggesting something like that. But I could be wrong, so I'll let jerry enlighten us.

KC

--------------
Those who know the truth are not equal to those who love it-- Confucius

14997 replies since July 17 2008,19:00 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Pages: (500) < [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... >   

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]