RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >   
  Topic: Fake science in advertising., Does it bother anyone else?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
Nerull

(Permalink) Posted: Mar. 28 2008,15:48   

Quote (Louis @ Mar. 28 2008,16:10)
Does it annoy me?

Does the Pope shit in the woods? Are bears Catholic?

OF COURSE it annoys me!

The long suffering and eminently wonderful Dr Mrs Louis is treated to regular tirades at the television. The saintly lady bears these outbursts with great fortitude and tolerance, and even sympathises to a sufficient degree that she will occasionally let fly herself.

Bad science, pseudoscience and antiscience is a pain in the arse wherever it arises. I know that FTK/Skeptic etc will be shocked to read this, because our anti-pseudoscience is of course anti-religion obviously (sheah, right!), but I get more annoyed about homeopathy than creationism. You biologists think that people have no clue about bioogy? Your average personage on the Clapham omnibus is a Nobel Laureate equivalent in their biology knowledge compared to their chemistry knowledge. If I hear, see or read the spurious claims made about "natural" things once more I might just have to go on a killing spree. Well, maybe not a killing spree, perhaps just a harsh language spree.

L'Oreal adverts can render me quite spectacularly annoyed, and don't even get me started on the topic of nutribollocks and "organic" agriculture.*

Frankly, science literacy is a rare thing, and science friendliness only slightly more common.

Louis

* There is a lot of good to come out of the "organic" farming movement, unfortunately there is also a lot of utter shite. It's a case by case kind of thing based on something called the "evidence". Our creationist chums won't know what that word means, but they'll have to trust me when I say it applies to more things than their inane beliefs.

How about some all natural Hydrogen Cyanide? Or that lovely castor bean extract, Ricin. Very natural. ;)

--------------
To rebut creationism you pretty much have to be a biologist, chemist, geologist, philosopher, lawyer and historian all rolled into one. While to advocate creationism, you just have to be an idiot. -- tommorris

56 replies since Mar. 28 2008,13:09 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >   

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]