RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Pages: (10) < [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... >   
  Topic: Thread for Christopher Gieschen, Fossil Record Invalid?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
Occam's Toothbrush

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 17 2007,07:17   

Quote (C Gieschen @ Oct. 16 2007,20:47)
So let me get this straight, according to the tree of life, we are all just animals.

Christopher's been talking to trees, apparently.  I can't say I'm surprised.
So if I terminate your life, it doesn't really matter, as it is no different from a spider eating the same species of spider.

In what relevant sense could it be said to not matter?  It would matter to me, obviously, as I have a natural instinct to stay alive and will (like all living things, religious or not) struggle vigorously to prevent being "terminated."  It would matter to my family, because they are emotionally attached to me and because I provide a significant proportion of their material support.  It would matter to the legal authorities, because they are vested with the responsibility to make sure people are not "terminated" by religious wackos like you or anyone else.  It would matter to the company where I work, because there are tasks that I am expected to get done and significant costs that would be incurred in replacing me.  And it would matter to my community, because they would live in increased fear of violence due to, apparently, a creationist nut who goes around "terminating" people to score irrelevant rhetorical points against a scientific theory he repeatedly demonstrates that he doesn't understand.

In short, of course it would matter.  What does this have to do with whether the available scientific evidence concerning the origins of biological diversity is best explained by MET?  Look up "argument from consequences."  It's a well-known logical fallacy.  Look that one up too, "fallacy."  If your argument is fallacious, and it is, that means that it can't be said to prove anything regardless of what premises you accept.

--------------
"Molecular stuff seems to me not to be biology as much as it is a more atomic element of life" --Creo nut Robert Byers
------
"You need your arrogant ass kicked, and I would LOVE to be the guy who does it. Where do you live?" --Anger Management Problem Concern Troll "Kris"

289 replies since Sep. 26 2007,14:03 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Pages: (10) < [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... >   

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]