RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Pages: (9) < [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... >   
  Topic: The Magic of Intelligent Design, A repost from Telic Thoughts< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
creeky belly

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 14 2007,16:42   

At this point, that is exactly what I am talking about.  I am looking to see if it is possible for an isolated biomolecule that has a dimension of 4 nm by 4 nm by 5 nm and weighs 55K amu to remain in quantum superposition for around 25ms.

It looks like researchers are on their way to showing this experimentally.  For the purposes of our discussion, are you are willing to agree there is nothing fundamental preventing a tubulin monomer from being in a quantum superposition state for 25 ms as long as it "...isn't affected by thermal emission from other atoms, and isn't entangling itself with photons"?

And, furthermore, do you agree the internal temperature of a biomolecule isn't a factor?

Like I've explained to you before, I think there are more direct ways of isolating things like shielding and error correction. What I think needs to be stressed with regards to the C60 experiment, is the demonstration of tranverse coherence for a single molecule. For something like quantum computation, which requires coherence across multiple molecules, this doesn't follow from the results. I'd expect that the if the monomer were the size you describe and you sent it into a similar experiment, it would exhibit interference, but there's no indication of spin or momentum state coherence. So to answer your question: yes, a single molecule can be in a coherent quantum state for 25 ms(they've demonstrated this), can multiple molecule be entangled for a similar amount of time (at 9000K)? That answer is not so clear, since the experiment wasn't set up to see this. Obviously, the temperature of the molecule, assuming that it's the average kinetic energy of the atoms, is not so important for interference experiments as long as they are sufficiently isolated. There are some straightforward experiments that could be performed to test the coherence time, similar to the Dibit paper, and I'm curious why Hameroff hasn't pursued this himself.

268 replies since Sep. 25 2007,09:43 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Pages: (9) < [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... >   

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]