RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Pages: (37) < [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... >   
  Topic: No reason for a rift between science and religion?, Skeptic's chance to prove his claims.< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
Nerull

(Permalink) Posted: Aug. 28 2007,14:04   

Quote (skeptic @ Aug. 28 2007,12:11)
Louis, you are simply delusional.  You've proven nothing and failed to answer simple questions repeatedly all the while claiming your superiority.  It is simply sad.

Bill, I'm not sure sure it is the proper context to say that steaks have beauty in their taste.  It might be more appropriate to say that beauty can be accessed through taste in general as with other senses.  So that then the taste of the steak reveals Beauty in the experience of eating the steak.  This really may come down to quibbling about what is Beauty.  If Beauty exists it will be independent of all consumers and may not actually be accessable.  Ask yourself this, what is it about the taste of a steak that may invoke thoughts of beauty?  Taste may simply be sensory response to stimuli which is purely physical in this regard but why does it seem to transcend this to many people?

Is a sunrise beautiful and if so why?

A sunrise being beautiful is entirely a matter of opinion.

Why would beauty 'exist'? We call something beautiful because we find it pleasant, its as simple as that. There is no need, and no reason for, some silly hand waving about beauty existing 'outside' of everything else.

Many humans like sunrises because they are often accompanied by striking colors - something we like. I suspect, however, that if you were stranded in a desert and dying of thirst you would not find it so beautiful.

Personally, I prefer sunsets. Sunrises mean I have to close down the observatory, park the telescopes, and put up CCD equipment and eyepieces, go home, and crash for a few hours.

--------------
To rebut creationism you pretty much have to be a biologist, chemist, geologist, philosopher, lawyer and historian all rolled into one. While to advocate creationism, you just have to be an idiot. -- tommorris

1091 replies since Aug. 06 2007,07:39 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Pages: (37) < [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... >   

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]