RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Pages: (341) < [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... >   
  Topic: UnReasonable Kansans thread, AKA "For the kids"< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
Nerull

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 07 2008,17:37   

Quote (JohnW @ Jan. 07 2008,17:27)
Quote (oldmanintheskydidntdoit @ Jan. 07 2008,14:06)
Maybe some of the reason FTK is like she is can be put down to a lack of curiosity.

For example, FTK writes (of Walt):

His theory suggests that comets, asteroids, and meteorites formed when jetting water and rock debris were forcefully launched from the subterranean chamber, escaped the earth’s gravitational pull and blasted into space to become part of our solar system.

So, logically all comets, asteroids, and meteorites would then have a makeup that can be traced back to earth. That's right huh FTK?

FTK, want to talk about that? Comets or asteroids or meteorites? All three?

It's much, much worse than that.  Walt Brown needs to come up with a plausible way of changing asteroid orbits from highly-eccentric ellipses to near-circular ones out beyond the orbit of Mars.  And I see nothing but a blur of rapidly-waving arms on this point.  This objection can be repeated, with knobs on, for the Kuiper Belt.

In the absence of a plausible mechanism, either (a) everything we think we know about classical orbital mechanics (the laws of which were first worked out by Kepler and Newton, and which are tested every time NASA launches something) is wrong, or (b) Walt Brown's hypothesis is a load of old cobblers.

FTK, I'm leaning towards (b) here.  Would you like to say anything about (a)?

I want to know this too. I mentioned to FTK in a PM that I am an (amateur) astronomer with a strong interest in physics and space flight. I know how orbits work. I've flown spacecraft in realistic simulators - I've flown to other planets and back, landed on moons and used Jupiter for gravity slingshots.

I know that it is completely impossible, by the known laws of physics, to launch a rock off of Earth and put it in the main asteroid belt orbit.

I know these laws are correct, because, as you said, NASA tests them every time it launches.

NASA can pull of hideously complex trajectories, making use of multiple slingshots and flybys - I'd almost call them a work of art - without a hitch.

To quote XKCD: "Science: It works, bitches!".

So, FTK, explain how all this is wrong. And keep in mind that on this subject there are people here who know what they are talking about. Handwaving won't get you anywhere.

--------------
To rebut creationism you pretty much have to be a biologist, chemist, geologist, philosopher, lawyer and historian all rolled into one. While to advocate creationism, you just have to be an idiot. -- tommorris

10202 replies since Mar. 17 2007,23:38 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Pages: (341) < [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... >   

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]