RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Pages: (341) < [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... >   
  Topic: UnReasonable Kansans thread, AKA "For the kids"< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
Nerull

(Permalink) Posted: July 10 2008,21:57   

This is as good a place as any, I suppose.

I'm proud to announce - Hydroplate Sim Beta.

Simulate the orbital mechanics of Walt Brown's hydroplate theory.

http://hydroplate.googlecode.com/files/hpbeta2.exe

The idea is you try to get an asteroid into an orbit fully within the orbits of Mars and Jupiter. Walt Brown claims this happened. Orbital mechanics says it can't. Now you can try it.

Since I forgot to have the installer display the readme, and I'm not spending another half hour to upload another one tonight (Damn dialup!), I'll just quote it here:

Hydroplate sim simulates the orbital mechanics of an asteroid being blasted off Earth. Creationist Walt Brown claims that the asteroid belt was created by rocks blasted off of earth when the "Fountains of the Deep" erupted during the biblical flood. The goal of this application is to demonstrate the way orbits behave in an easily accessable manner.

Controls:

Left/Right or a/d - Rotate launch angle around the planet.
Up/Down or w/s    - Increase or decrease launch velocity.
Space             - Launch an asteroid.
t/r               - Increase or decrease timestep by 10x
Esc               - Exit the program.

Due to the high timesteps required to simulate interplanetary flight at more than a snails pace, the asteroid is created outside of Earth's Sphere of Influence. The gravity integration would break down if close to a gravity source at these timesteps.

What this means is the launch velocity does not take into account Earth's escape velocity - we will assume the asteroid has already escaped. The velocities required to actually launch a rock off earth would be far higher.

If your asteroid's trajectory takes it close enought to another planet, these integration errors will manifest themselves. The asteroid may go shooting out of the solar system, or other unrealistic effects. This cannot be avoided without slowing the simulation down. Pressing space will delete the current asteroid and spawn a new one with the current launch angle and velocity if this happens, or if you simply want to try again.

License is GPLv2. Source code available at http://code.google.com/p/hydroplate/

Errors about "incorrect configuration" mean you need the MSVC9 runtime, at http://www.microsoft.com/downloa....Lang=en

(I'll admit I was really bored to program this - but the astronomical bits are useful for another project I want to do)

EDIT: And here's a screenshot:

--------------
To rebut creationism you pretty much have to be a biologist, chemist, geologist, philosopher, lawyer and historian all rolled into one. While to advocate creationism, you just have to be an idiot. -- tommorris

10200 replies since Mar. 17 2007,23:38 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Pages: (341) < [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... >   

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]