RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Question: Gay Marriage Poll :: Total Votes:78
Poll choices Votes Statistics
Gay marriage should be legal 75  [96.15%]
Gay marriage should not be legal 3  [3.85%]
Guests cannot vote
Pages: (6) < [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... >   
  Topic: Gay Marriage Poll, It's poll day, apparently< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
PennyBright

(Permalink) Posted: June 07 2006,16:01   

What I've found interesting is that while I can see no evidence at all that allowing gay folks to marry would muck up mixed gender marriages,   I do know concretely that the legal steps taken to *prevent* gay marriages  can muck up mixed gender relationships.

Ohio recently passed a law *edit - not a law, an amendment to the state constitution -*  prohibiting same sex marriage that has had the net effect of eliminating common-law marriage in the state, as well as eliminating domestic violence protections for un-married couples living together.

While it's anecdotal,  I also know of one case where a health insurance provider decided on the basis of the state constitution to stop providing insurance to the non-custodial children of unmarried employees.   My neighbors daughter lost her health insurance because her father's  insurance did this.  

And speaking personally, my own marriage was royally mucked over by it, since my husband and I had a religious ceremony, but are unable to get legally married to a legal f-ck-up involving my adoption.  We had been comfortable with having a common law marriage --  but now have to go to the expense and trouble of hiring lawyers in two states to try and untangle a mess from 25 years ago.

edited for correctness.

--------------
Conversation should be pleasant without scurrility, witty without affectation, free without indecency, learned without conceitedness, novel without falsehood. - Shakespeare (reputedly)

171 replies since June 06 2006,11:15 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Pages: (6) < [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... >   

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]