RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Pages: (5) < [1] 2 3 4 5 >   
  Topic: AF Dave Questions Human-Chimp Chromo Evo, Creation/Evolution Debate< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
Tom Ames

(Permalink) Posted: May 05 2006,15:29   

Quote (afdave @ May 05 2006,08:27)
Another layman question ... what's the meaning of 5' and 3' ... what do the numbers designate and what do the single quote marks indicate?

I don't feel that it's appropriate to pile on afdave, but something needs to be pointed out. This quote of his ought to be contrasted with an earlier quote:

I can see that the Flank and Davidson have read the book ‘How to Win Friends and Influence People’ … I have an idea for a simple, fun exercise. I’m an Electrical Engineer and business man and I used to fly AF jets. I like simple, uncomplicated arguments and I like people to cut to the chase … fast. Let’s say I was undecided about where life on earth came from or how it began. I hear the YECs and the ID people saying it came from an Intelligent Agent/God or whatever. I hear the Darwinists saying it happened by chance evolution. And everybody quotes all these long-winded academic sources. I would love to hear from each of you, everybody in YOUR OWN WORDS, not referring to a single outside source what YOUR theory is and WHY you believe it in 5 simple statements, i.e. the top 5 reasons for your belief. Take me from when and how it all began to where you think its going and why … very short and simple so my pea brain can understand it … try explaining it nicely and politely.

The point being that complicated technical subjects cannot be transmitted to uneducated listeners in "5 simple statements".

Someone who's never come across the 5'->3' convention for DNA strand direction is simply not equipped to understand the molecular arguments for evolution. There's no shame in this: it is, after all, a specialized and technical body of knowledge. But I would not presume to say to afdave "I've never understood why airplanes don't need to flap their wings. Could you teach me how to fly a jet next week?"

The DI and AiG's pseudoscientific truthiness encourages people to expect that the principles of molecular evolution are within the grasp of everyday uninformed intuition.

But intelligent readers ought to be able to appreciate why this is not so. If they want to become informed they'll start by assuming the humility of the novice. If they simply want to continue pushing a partisan or sectarian agenda, they'll not let ignorance be a barrier to expressing their opinion.

--------------
-Tom Ames

146 replies since May 04 2006,02:54 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Pages: (5) < [1] 2 3 4 5 >   

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]