RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Pages: (202) < [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... >   
  Topic: AF Dave's UPDATED Creator God Hypothesis, Creation/Evolution Debate< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
Mike PSS

(Permalink) Posted: Sep. 21 2006,11:23   

JonF,

(Mike PSS @ Sep. 21 2006,15:30)
Depending on the unit cell AND the lattice geometry, an impurity may be substituted either interstitially (between crystal atoms) or substitutuinally (replacing atoms in the crystal matrix) depending on the impurities atomic size and the crystal structure.

And, especially for substitutions, the electrochemical properties of the impurity atom.

*WHOLE ROCK ANALYSIS CAN CONTAIN IMPURITIES FROM INTERSTITIAL, SUBSTITUTIONAL, LINEAR BOUNDRY, OR GRAIN BOUNDRY DEFECTS ALONG WITH AMORPHOUS AREAS OF THE ROCK.
*THE NUMBER AND TYPE OF THESE DEFECTS IS RANDOM. which means...
*THE NUMBER OF Rb AND Sr ATOMS IN ANY ONE WHOLE ROCK SAMPLES IS SOMEWHAT RANDOMIZED.

I don't quite agree; many of the ways impurities are incorporated are indeed random, but substitution typically is not.  But the chemical effects, of course, lead to enrichment or depletion in the melt as various crystals form from it, and inhomogeneous temperature effects contribute too, and all sorts of things show up that complicate the picture far beyond Davie's "it all freezes at once" level of understanding ... eventualy leading to initial spatial inhomogeneity in the solidified rocks as well as the minerals, and therefore, as you wrote:{snip}
(my bold)

Thanks for the clarification.  I had thought of saying something similar to the bolded comment at first but thought a bit of explanation of how spatial inhomogenaity could be structurally formed.  I left the selection issue out of the discussion because I knew you were trying to hammer it into AFDave already.  I was then going to carry-on about the material balance and mass transfer issues at the solidification front of the melt but thought I would end the message with what I had.  Your summary above states it pretty well.

AFDave,
Do you agree with the structural mechanisms I presented?  Do they exist in your hypothesis?  If not, why not?

Mike PSS

6047 replies since May 01 2006,03:19 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Pages: (202) < [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... >   

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]