RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Pages: (43) < [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... >   
  Topic: Will a "Gay Gene" Refute Evolution?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
MidnightVoice

(Permalink) Posted: April 24 2006,07:00   

Quote (The Ghost of Paley @ April 24 2006,11:48)
One more thing: I know a lot of you are skeptical about my model. But let's review the reasons why a model is necessary in the first place:

1) Fact: When progressives try to tinker with the social fabric (single parenthood, free love, etc.), very bad consequences often ensue.
2) Fact: Many of these consequences are unanticipated, even by conservatives.
3) Fact: Some traditions resist change more than others. These traditions are usually the ones that, however irrational they seem on the surface, have a long history within the society that seeks to eliminate them.
4) Fact: These traditions are often deeply embedded within that society's legal code.
5) Fact: Mathematical models exist that seek to explain societal changes.
6) Fact: One model (scale free networks) has been successfully applied to a wide range of natural phenomena. Cultural change plausibly satisfies some of the model's prerequisites.
7) Fact: The existence of bold, free-thinking individuals allows these models to be studied and (possibly) applied to cultural change.
8) Fact: These individuals often experience ridicule as they work out the model's consequences.  :p

1) Fact: When conservatives try to tinker with the biological fabric of society (single parenthood, free love, etc.), very bad consequences often ensue.
2) Fact: Many of these consequences are unanticipated, even by liberals.
3) Fact: Some traditions resist change more than others. These traditions are usually the ones that, however irrational they seem on the surface, have a long history, such as homosexuality in society.
4) Fact: These traditions are often deeply embedded within that society's legal code, and sometimes not.

7) Fact: The existence of bold, free-thinking individuals allows these models to be studied and (possibly) applied to cultural change, hence the success of evolutionary theory.
8) Fact: These individuals often experience ridicule as they work out the model's consequences, usually be conservatives

--------------
If I fly the coop some time
And take nothing but a grip
With the few good books that really count
It's a necessary trip

I'll be gone with the girl in the gold silk jacket
The girl with the pearl-driller's hands

1264 replies since April 04 2006,15:41 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Pages: (43) < [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... >   

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]