RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Pages: (1000) < [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... >   
  Topic: Official Uncommonly Dense Discussion Thread< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
Mr_Christopher

(Permalink) Posted: Feb. 21 2006,13:08   

from the loony bin:

Apologies to DS for posting under what he considered to be an offensive name (holy_chimp) on another thread. I did not intend to cause offense. I was stating an opinion that we are so genetically and cladistically similar to chimpanzees that one of the few things that separates us is the fact that we have appear to have a soul. However, I realise that this may have been offensive and I am sorry.

What exactly is the appearance of a soul and what makes you think a chimp is lacking in that department? Not that I disagree I just want to know how you arrive at these conclusions. As far as Iím concerned there are a lot of humans that have no soul. None whatsoever. Zilch. As cruel and heartless as any animal. Worse, because the human ostensibly has the capacity to know right from wrong. What other animals besides humans get any joy out of causing pain to other creatures? As far as animals resembling people in the soul category elephants might have us beat which I blogged about here. -ds

Comment by Chris_UK ó February 21, 2006 @ 5:31 pm

Looks like Dave Scott has never observed a cat playing with a mouse or a killer whale playing with a sea lion prior to eating him.

Humans are not the only ones who get a kick out of torturing another animal.  

Does this mean my kitty doesn't have a soul? :-(  Is torture the litmus test for soul detection?

Speaking of souls, remember when Richard Thompson asked Barbara Forrest if she believed in the "everlasting soul" or somesuch nonsense while she was on the stand?  I wish she would have replied with something like "I did not see an "everlasting soul" on the evidence list, did you submit one to the court as evidence?  Could you show me one right now?"

--------------
Uncommon Descent is a moral cesspool, a festering intellectual ghetto that intoxicates and degrades its inhabitants - Stephen Matheson

29999 replies since Jan. 16 2006,11:43 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Pages: (1000) < [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... >   

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]