RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Pages: (1000) < [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... >   
  Topic: Official Uncommonly Dense Discussion Thread< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
Reciprocating Bill

(Permalink) Posted: June 02 2007,10:10   

Quote (Wesley R. Elsberry @ June 02 2007,09:49)

Perhaps I'm missing something, but your expertise is in mathematics and the philosophy of science, in which you hold your Ph.D.s.

I don't recall that Dembski had a specialization in philosophy of science. What's the evidence that Dembski had anything other than a general philosophy Ph.D.?

You're right - I skimmed Wikipedia too quickly. He completed a fellowship in the history and philosophy of science at Northwestern, although received M.A. and doctorate in philosophy from UIC. Here's the relevant Wiki entry:
He returned to school at the University of Illinois at Chicago (UIC), where he studied psychology (in which he received a B.A. in 1981) and statistics (receiving an M.S. in 1983). He was awarded an S.M. in mathematics in 1985, and a Ph.D., also in mathematics, in 1988, both from the University of Chicago, after which he held a postdoctoral fellowship in mathematics at the National Science Foundation from 1988 until 1991, and another in the history and philosophy of science at Northwestern University from 19921993. He was awarded an M.A. in philosophy in 1993, and a Ph.D. in the same subject in 1996, both from UIC, and an M.Div from Princeton Theological Seminary, also in 1996.

I read this stuff and wonder, "what the hell happened to this guy?"

--------------
Myth: Something that never was true, and always will be.

"The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you."
- David Foster Wallace

"Here’s a clue. Snarky banalities are not a substitute for saying something intelligent. Write that down."
- Barry Arrington

29999 replies since Jan. 16 2006,11:43 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Pages: (1000) < [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... >   

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]