RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Pages: (1000) < [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... >   
  Topic: Official Uncommonly Dense Discussion Thread< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
Shirley Knott

(Permalink) Posted: Jan. 05 2007,14:28   

Somewhat off-topic, but since the orchid has been mentioned...
Angraecum sesquipedale is not terribly difficult to grow, and, for me at least, has flowered reliably for all but one of the years I've owned mine.   The blossom is impressive, the fragrance is delightful, although a bit subtle most of the time.  Watching the nectary unfurl as the blossom slowly opens is an education in its own right.  It does not reach the length of 12+ inches until the blossom is well into opening; when the bud first breaks from the bract, it is substantially larger (longer) than the tiny little 'prong' coming from the rear of the bud.
And, unlike so many other orchids, the plant is attractive even when not in bloom, which will be roughly 9-10 months out of the year (assuming you consider the plant to be 'in bloom' from the time the flower stalk first begins to appear from between the leaves).
If you appreciate Darwin and raise plants, I would strongly encourage you to pick up a specimen or two of Angraecum sesquipedale.  

hugs,
Shirley Knott

29999 replies since Jan. 16 2006,11:43 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Pages: (1000) < [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... >   

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]