RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Pages: (1000) < [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... >   
  Topic: Official Uncommonly Dense Discussion Thread< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
Occam's Toothbrush

(Permalink) Posted: Dec. 28 2006,07:31   

Quote (afdave @ Dec. 28 2006,07:26)
OK fine.  I can bash UD as good as anyone.  Look at this piece from UD ... DS is so dumb ... he really thinks this will have an effect on ToE!  Can you believe that?

SILENT MUTATIONS
"Silent" mutations are not always silent  Mutations leading to identical amino acid sequences can change protein folding and function
[Published 21st December 2006 07:21 PM GMT]
A mutation in a human gene that does not change the resulting amino acid can nevertheless change a protein's function, according to an online report from Science. The research marks the first time that the phenomenon has been confirmed in mammals.

"The habit we all have of disregarding nucleotide changes that don't change protein sequence may not be a good one," coauthor Michael Gottesman at the National Cancer Institute in Bethesda, Md., told The Scientist. "This may be a generalizable phenomenon that may lead to changes in function we haven't been thinking about."
http://www.the-scientist.com/news/home/38329/
UD Article

DS then says ...        
Whatever the mechanism it really makes hash out of neutral theory and molecular clock theory.

Also note I’ve blogged in the past about how a design theoretic view predicts things like this. In this comment I described how the NTSC video signal evolved as intelligent designers added additional ways of encoding information to the carrier without effecting the preexisting ways and said we should look for DNA to have multiple encoding schemes one atop the other.
Poor guy.  I wonder how far away his other synapse is.  (Thanks SPH)

For D'Tard to have more than one synapse, he would need at least three neurons.  Clearly he does not have more than two (if you listen hard you can hear them faintly rubbing together in the sections you quote), so I'm not sure what your point is.

And it's "as well as," not "as good as."  Are the fundies attacking grammar now too?

--------------
"Molecular stuff seems to me not to be biology as much as it is a more atomic element of life" --Creo nut Robert Byers
------
"You need your arrogant ass kicked, and I would LOVE to be the guy who does it. Where do you live?" --Anger Management Problem Concern Troll "Kris"

29999 replies since Jan. 16 2006,11:43 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Pages: (1000) < [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... >   

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]