RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Pages: (1000) < [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... >   
  Topic: Official Uncommonly Dense Discussion Thread< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
2ndclass

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 19 2006,09:10   

Quote (Richardthughes @ Oct. 19 2006,13:26)
Real Life CSI Caluclation:

http://www.uncommondescent.com/archives/1708#comment-69708

No math, though.

*waves hands*

Whenever somebody tries to twist and bend Dembski's EF into something useful, the result is guaranteed to be entertaining.  And Patrick doesn't disappoint.

Patrick:  
If this boulder is located on a road in a mountainous region where rockslides are not unheard of then step 1 of the EF would conclude that the law in question is simply gravity.
One could conceivably posit a chance occurence where by which an airplane or a truck lost its cargo and the boulder came to rest in the middle of the country lane.
(Emphasis mine.)

So if it falls from a mountain, it's law, but if it falls from a truck, it's chance.  Great stuff, that EF.

A design inference doesn’t take place in a void so one could ask around to see if such an event had taken place.
So, since biological design inferences don't take place in a void, we should be asking around to see if anyone has seen someone designing organisms.

So even in a scenario with a granite boulder in flat, sandy FL there “might” not be 500 informational bits and ID “might” produce another false negative. I say “might” because I’d first want a trained mathematician do the calculations.
This conjures images of a phone call...

Secretary: "MIT math department.  Can I help you?"

Patrick: "Yes, I'd like to hire one of your trained mathematicians to calculate the informational bits in a boulder resting on a road in flat, sandy Florida."

Secretary: "What the ...?"

--------------
"I wasn't aware that classical physics had established a position on whether intelligent agents exercising free were constrained by 2LOT into increasing entropy." -DaveScot

29999 replies since Jan. 16 2006,11:43 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Pages: (1000) < [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... >   

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]