RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Pages: (1000) < [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... >   
  Topic: Official Uncommonly Dense Discussion Thread< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
djmullen

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 14 2006,17:35   

Quote (stevestory @ Oct. 14 2006,14:04)
Jonathan Moonie Wells, quoted on UD today:

As I learned in the course of earning my Ph.D. in biology from the University of California at Berkeley, Darwinism is false because it doesn’t fit the scientific evidence.

Jonathan Moonie Wells, quoted by his moonie friends years ago:

Darwinism: Why I Went for a Second Ph.D.

by Jonathan Wells, Ph.D.-Berkeley, CA

At the end of the Washington Monument rally in September, 1976, I was admitted to the second entering class at Unification Theological Seminary. During the next two years, I took a long prayer walk every evening. I asked God what He wanted me to do with my life, and the answer came not only through my prayers, but also through Father's many talks to us, and through my studies. Father encouraged us to set our sights high and accomplish great things.

He also spoke out against the evils in the world; among them, he frequently criticized Darwin's theory that living things originated without God's purposeful, creative activity. My studies included modern theologians who took Darwinism for granted and thus saw no room for God's involvement in nature or history; in the process, they re- interpreted the fall, the incarnation, and even God as products of human imagination.

Father's words, my studies, and my prayers convinced me that I should devote my life to destroying Darwinism, just as many of my fellow Unificationists had already devoted their lives to destroying Marxism. When Father chose me (along with about a dozen other seminary graduates) to enter a Ph.D. program in 1978, I welcomed the opportunity to prepare myself for battle.

I guess he thought "Darwin is wrong because the evidence says so" sounded better than "Darwin is wrong because my cult leader says so"

Jonathan Moonie Wells, quoted on UD today:

As I learned in the course of earning my Ph.D. in biology from the University of California at Berkeley, Darwinism is false because it doesn’t fit the scientific evidence.

Jonathan Moonie Wells, quoted by his moonie friends years ago:

Darwinism: Why I Went for a Second Ph.D.

by Jonathan Wells, Ph.D.-Berkeley, CA

At the end of the Washington Monument rally in September, 1976, I was admitted to the second entering class at Unification Theological Seminary. During the next two years, I took a long prayer walk every evening. I asked God what He wanted me to do with my life, and the answer came not only through my prayers, but also through Father's many talks to us, and through my studies. Father encouraged us to set our sights high and accomplish great things.

He also spoke out against the evils in the world; among them, he frequently criticized Darwin's theory that living things originated without God's purposeful, creative activity. My studies included modern theologians who took Darwinism for granted and thus saw no room for God's involvement in nature or history; in the process, they re- interpreted the fall, the incarnation, and even God as products of human imagination.

Father's words, my studies, and my prayers convinced me that I should devote my life to destroying Darwinism, just as many of my fellow Unificationists had already devoted their lives to destroying Marxism. When Father chose me (along with about a dozen other seminary graduates) to enter a Ph.D. program in 1978, I welcomed the opportunity to prepare myself for battle.

I guess he thought "Darwin is wrong because the evidence says so" sounded better than "Darwin is wrong because my cult leader says so"  

From the Preface to "Icons of Evolution", Pg XI:
"During my years as a physical science undergraduate and biology graduate student at the University of California, Berkeley, I believed almost everything I read in my textbooks.  I knew that the books contained a few misprints and minor factual errors, and I was skeptical of philosoophical claims that went beyond the evidence, but I thought that most of what I was being taught was substantially true."

Nothing like starting the book off with a lie to give the reader confidence in the author.

From "About  the Author" in the same book:

Jonathan Wells is no sctranger to controversey.  After spending two years in the U. S. Army from 1964 to 1966, he entered the University of California at Berkeley to become a science teacher.  When the Army called him back from reserve status in 1968, he chose to go to prison rather than continue to sergve during the Vietnam War.  He subsequently earned a Ph.D. in religious studies at Yale University, where he wrote a book about the nineteenth century Darwinian controversies.  In 1989 he returned to Berkeley to earn a second Ph.D., this time in molecular and cell biology.  He is now a senior fellow at Discovery Institute's Center for the Renewal of Science and Culture (www.discovery.org/crsc) in Seattle, where he lives with his wife, two children and mother.  He still hopes to become a science teacher.

No need to mention Reverand Moon or the Unification Church's  paying for the Ph.D. expressly so he could (attempt to) destroy Darwin or the fact that he's a Moonie pastor and theologian.  That kind of info can't possibly be interesting or useful to the reader.

29999 replies since Jan. 16 2006,11:43 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Pages: (1000) < [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... >   

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]