RSS 2.0 Feed

» Welcome Guest Log In :: Register

Topic: Everyday examples of evolution< Next Oldest | Next Newest >  
Wonderpants

(Permalink) Posted: Oct. 18 2005,00:40   

One popular claim by the ID/creationist fantasists is that evolution has never been observed in the real world and/or that it's only been demonstrated under laboratory conditions by 'immoral atheist' scientists.

So let's see if we can come up with a counter argument that involves easily demonstrated examples of evolution in everyday life. Here's a few to get the ball rolling:

1. The most notable and significant example (to us): Superbugs. Germs that have evolved partial or complete immunity to antibiotics.

2. Warfarin resistant rats. Warfarin is a common rat poison that kills them by stopping their blood clotting. Of course, quite a few rats have now developed immunity to Warfarin.

3. Mice that have developed to exist in extremely cold environments. Mice living in places like freezer rooms have been found to have developed extremely thick coats to deal with the sub-zero temperatures.

Anyone with any other examples?

--------------
Fundamentalism in a nutshell:
"There are a lot of things I have concluded to be wrong, without studying them in-depth. Evolution is one of them. The fact that I don't know that much about it does not bother me in the least."

21 replies since Oct. 18 2005,00:40 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >  

Track this topic Email this topic Print this topic

[ Read the Board Rules ] | [Useful Links] | [Evolving Designs]